Sunday, October 27, 2013

October Action Purchases


I found myself purchasing more horror titles in October than action. Therefore, there is quite a lack of action films that have been added to my collection this month. Note also the hybrid action/monster/horror films as well: there are four of them.

DVD:
Death Wish V: The Face of Death - Lousy DVD transfer with no bonus features. The DVD comes with Spanish subtitles but no English subtitles! It's a total joke. No one cares about this movie.

Charles Bronson MGM Action Pack - Contains Murphy's Law, 10 to Midnight, Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects, and The Messenger of Death. These are all the least action packed Bronson films one could even purchase, and the thing is called "action pack" for goodness sakes. I've only watched Kinjite so far but you could say I was definitely scraping the bottom of the Charles Bronson barrel this month. Only trailer supplements.

Brotherhood of the Wolf: Director's Cut - Fabulous French horror/action film with great photography, music, editing, and acting. Top notch stuff, highly recommended purchase! It is out of print though. Lots of supplements too!

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires - Hammer Horror meets the Shaw Brothers! Haven't watched yet but looking forward too it; old school vampire martial arts action. No supplements.

Blu Ray:
Drug War - The newest Johnnie To film comes with no bonus features but a perfect transfer to blow out your speakers as well!

Pacific Rim - Great release, beautiful transfer, tons of supplements. A decent film too!

Misc.:
The Man of Tai Chi (Digital Pre-Release) - I never do these pre-release purchases because I believe in physical purchasing. But I could not wait to see this so I caved and now have my one and only digital copy of a film where I don't own the DVD or Blu Ray to go with it too.

Bronson's Loose! The Making of the Death Wish Films (Book) - This short and sweet trade paper back is highly recommended to all Bronson or Death Wish fans. I learned a lot about Charles Bronson, Cannon Group, Michael Winner, and the film industry in general too.

Pick Up Beats:
- Cheapest: The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (DVD) - Present, Free
- Overpaid: Pacific Rim (Blu Ray) - $24.00
- Best Pick Up: Brotherhood of the Wolf: Director's Cut (DVD)
- Worst Pick Up: Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects (DVD)

No comments:

Post a Comment